Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 November 2023

Introduction

Introduction



Following on from the success of my Northern Bank War Memorials website, I undertook in 2013/14 similar research on the Ulster Bank officials who served in World War 2.

After the sale of the Ulster Bank Head Office in Waring Street, Belfast, the following important pieces of Ulster Bank Heritage were re-installed in a new location on walls in the staff entrance to the new Ulster Bank building in Donegall Square East, Belfast:

The World War 2 – Roll of Honour / War Memorial – Ulster Bank

These memorials, consisting of Bronze plaques feature those officials from the bank who served, went missing in action, died or were killed in either of the two conflicts.

The opportunity is being taken now to catalogue the information thereon and make that information public via internet searches.

Of the 120 men who volunteered and enlisted, 12 were reported as killed in action.

I had considered undertaking research and presenting on the Great War men who served. It is with much pleasure that I commend the new RBS website - NatWest Group Remembers .

I trust that you will find my site both interesting and informative.

My thanks must go to Rodney Sweetnam, a retired Ulster Bank staff member, who retained and catalogued the bank staff magazines. He came across this website, contacted me in late 2022 and sent me photographs of any references to the men listed here. The various promotion, retirement and obituary articles supplied me with photographs, full names, bank career information, wartime career information and family information. 

Thank you.

Gavin Bamford

+44 (0) 7510 287 981 

gavinbamford@btinternet.com

16th April 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add any verifiable information to assist me in building on the biographical information already detailed. Thank you.